I love a good hug so I hate to admit that at one point in time I was very tentative about getting a hug from someone new because I didn’t know their hugging “style” and some forms of a hug could be just plain painful to my inflamed joints. There is almost always a dominant hugger; the person who is more enthusiastic and demonstrative overtakes the, dare I say, lamer hugger. Here is the hug hierarchy as I see it:
- Non-Hug Hug – The super lamest of the bunch. Even worse than the One Arm Hug, it’s like embracing a dead fish and it leaves you feeling slighted and almost sad for the Non-Hug Hugger because you wonder how they were never taught to hug.
- One Armed Hug – Come on, use both arms! One arm says – “meh.”
- Happy Hug – Big full armed hug often accompanied by the sway back and forth. Love these!
- Bear Hug – Similar to the Happy Hug but with quite a bit more squeeze and often the pat on the back.
- Death Grip – Over the top and as unnecessary as the Non-Hug Hug. The whole idea of a hug is to make someone feel good – if you want to convey more than a Bear Hug add in a bit of the Happy Hug or even better yet, the best hug around – the Special Hug!
The sixth hug is in a category all its own because there is something a bit more behind it – emotional support.
6. Special Hug – a hug with meaning behind it. More than a hello, it is reserved for comforting, passion, or in an extra special situation. These are simply the best!
One of my favorite things in the world is the Free Hugs Campaign. A one man mission to dispense free hugs to strangers to brighten their day! Watch the video – it’s wonderful. Sending you all a warm, happy, and special bear of a hug!
Day 128 was created with an image of the earth, watercolor, ink, and collage.
Also – RA Warrior website has some wonderful new t-shirts that say “hug gently”.
***New Guest Artist Apple*** by Michael Smith